Conor's Bread Revisited!
This makes a really Light and Fluffy Well Risen GF/CF/SF and Yeast free bread!!!
Yes, finally after 5 months of experimentation, failure, doughy bread and chewy toast I have finally managed to create a respectable, nay comparable white bread.
What's the secret?
Well, firstly - check your loaf tin. For months I have been laboring under the misapprehension that my 1.5lb loaf tin was a 1lb loaf tin. It was only by accident that this weekend I picked up a real 1lb loaf tin.
Secondly, rising agents. Without yeast there are a few things that can make bread rise. Variously in different recipes I've seen baking powder, vitamin c tablets and sparkling water all used.
Ingredients - I've been a bit more anal than usual here and listed exactly what I used. this is because I cannot actually believe that the bread I've made is GF/CF/SF and yeast free too! I have made it twice, the second time tonight just to confirm the results. I will generalise the ingredients eventually. I would particularly like to change the rice milk for hemp milk and I'll probably try it with my own flour blend too, but for recreatable results, here's exactly what I used. Update 09/09/2009: Now verified with Rice:Potato:Tapioca mix in ratio 3:1:1. Update: 13/09/2009: For a nutty taste mix 100g of Gram flour with 350g of the white flours.
- 450g flour - Doves Gluten Free plain white flour blend (what I used originally) or your own GF/CF flour blend. I tried this with a mix or Rice:Tapioca:Potato in ratio 3:1:1 last night and the bread turned out just as nice. This has the added advantage of making the bread Soya free too!
- 1 Haliborange halibonbon tablet
- 1 tsp sea salt - rock sea salt
- 4 tsp xanthan gum - Life free from brand
- 2 tsp baking powder - Royal Baking powder
- 2 large organic free range eggs (M&S)
- Rice Milk (Rice Dream (+Calcium)) combine with eggs to make total liquid volume 200ml
- 200ml Sparkling water - Deep riverrock.
- Preheat fan over to 200 degrees Centigrade (I have a Neff fan oven)
- Dust a 1lb loaf tin with flour
- Get out a mixing bowl, measuring jug, wooden spoon, spatula, whisk
- Crush Halibonbon tablet in a pill crusher or with the back of a spoon until it it pure powder.
- Mix dry ingredients and whisk together
- Whisk eggs and add milk to total liquid content of 200ml
- Add egg/milk mix to dry ingredients and combine together
- Add sparkling water last and quickly mix to a lumpy batter
- Quickly press into loaf tin and smooth top with spatula
- Bake fo 45 minutes.