If you though GF/CF meant all dry tasteless health food then think again. These beauties are lovely. Rise beautifully and actually taste a bit more like choux pastry then donuts.
They are topped with icing sugar...but what else would you do with donuts?
This recipe comes straight out of the excellent "The Kid Friendly ADHA & Autism Cookbook" by Compart and Laake...I got my copy at the DAN! conference and is nicely dedicated to Conor by the author Dana Laake :-)
- 1/2 cup (80g ) white rice flour
- 2/3 cup (80 g) tapioca flour
- 1/3 cup (50 g) potato starch or (40 g) cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons guar or xanthan gum
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/3 cup (80 g) oil
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) milk
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) club soda or sparkling water
- Combine all dry ingredients and mix together.
- Combine all the beaten egg, oil and milk.
- Slowly mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingretients and mix well.
- Add the sparkling water slowly and beat well.
- Flour a board and your hands - use LOADS of flour.
- Pull small lumps about the size of the plumbs and roll them quickly into ring shapes.
- Deep fry for a minute or less - if you don't have a deep fryer then fry in an inch of oil in a pan.
- Let donuts rise in a warm oven (80 degrees centigrade) for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and heat oven to 180 degrees.
- Brush top of donuts with melted ghee
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.