Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Yeast of Eden

Edible Bread!

If you've been following this blog at all you'll already know about my pursuit of a decent sliced loaf that doesn't break the bank.

Thus far my many efforts have lead to mostly inedible lumps that would be more at home jamming a door open then they would be in a lunchbox.



That was until....dun dun duh...the breadmaker!

My boss in work loaned me his and I tried out a recipe last night. Thanks Martin!

The results? Instant success; well it took 3hours and 18minutes to cook and I kicked off the process at 9.15pm, so between waiting for the bread to cook and cool I didn't get to bed until after 2am.

The recipe I used is from the excellent "Diet Intervention and Autism" by Marilyn Le Breton.

Ingredients:

Dry Mix

  • 2 1/2 cups of rice flour
  • 1/2 cup potato starch flour
  • 1/2 cup tapioca starch flour
  • 1 tbsp xanthan gum
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 1 sachet (2.25 tsps) yeast
Wet Mix
  • 3 eggs, at room temp, beaten
  • 1/4 cup sunflour oil
  • 1/2 cup non-dairy, non-soy milk (I use hemp)
  • 3/4 cup warm water
  • 1 tsp white wine vinegar (optional)
Method
  • Mix all dry ingredients bar yeast
  • Mix all wet ingredients
  • Put wet ingredients into bread maker
  • Put dry ingredients into bread maker
  • Sprinkle yeast on top
  • Set to cook a 1.5 lb (750g) loaf.
  • Pick your crust colour
  • Hit start
  • (Don't use start delay function as the milk could curdle)
  • Wait 3 hours 18 minutes (or whatever)
  • Remove immediately onto a wire rack
  • Don't carve into slices until fully cooled.
This makes a wonderful soft fluffy white loaf that cuts really well and makes super sandwiches or toast.

I had a tow truck on hand in case the bread turned out like it's predecessors, but luckily it wasn't needed!


Enjoy!





Stumble Delicious

No comments:

Post a Comment